New Port Richey, Florida
New Port Richey and Port Richey, West Pasco's dual coastal communities, are best known today as booming retirement centers, but both towns had more basic origins. Port Richey was started in 1883 by Missourian Captain A. M. Richey, who vacationed on an island at the mouth of the Pithlachascottee River. New Port Richey, once Hickory Hammonds, made the name concession in 1914 when the Port Richey Company began heavy development.
New Port Richey, town (4 sq mi/10.4 sq km; 1990 pop. 14,044), Pasco co., W central Fla., 25 mi/40 km NW of Tampa, near the Gulf of Mexico; 28°15'N 82°43'W. Citrus fruit; concrete prods. Major resort and retirement area; recreational fishing.
New Port Richey is a city in Pasco County, in the Tampa-Saint Petersburg metro area. The community is in the Eastern Standard time zone. The latitude of New Port Richey is 28.243N. The longitude is -82.719W. The estimated population, in 2003, was 16,711.New Port Richey is on the Cotee River and the Gulf of Mexico. The community was named after A.M. Richey, postmaster. The old town of Port Richey was a port of call for schooners traveling between Cedar Keys and Key West. Florida, the only place to enjoy your Gulfcoast property and leisure.